Longstone and Pitt Place Farms

Of Mr Jackman’s children, Peter took on the tenancy of Pitt Place Farm and his brother Bill took on Longstone Farm.

Bill was the first person to live in the wooden house at the bottom of Strawberry Lane (now the National Trust offices and designed by the second Lord Mottistone). Like a number of houses in the area, Longstone Farmhouse still had no electricity in the 1950s and everything was done by candle light and paraffin lamp.

Bill did not find the land productive and stopped farming altogether, while his brother Peter and his wife Connie continued to farm 165 acres around Mottistone, Longstone and Hoxall for 36 years. They kept beef and dairy cattle as well as up to 500 pigs out in the open. One of their Jersey cows, Josie, became a local celebrity, living to the grand age of 21 years and gaining an obituary in the IOW County Press.


Like his father, Jim, Peter Jackman worked from dawn to dusk, taking no holidays. A tall and striking figure, he was never without a broad brimmed hat and was known at the Tuesday farmers’ market in Newport as ‘the man who always wears the trilby’. He got his hats from Dunn & Co. in Regent Street and always had three on the go. As they became worn the hats were demoted from ‘best’ to ‘market’ and then finally to ‘work’, before being thrown away when a new one was bought.


Like the Hookeys at Downton Farm, the Jackmans became lifelong friends with a German prisoner of war, Willie, who worked for them from 1945 to 1948. Peter and Connie’s eldest son John, decided against farming and joined the police force. He learned to drive a tractor at 5 years old and when he returned to Mottistone on leave he could still win the IOW ploughing championship. The land of Pitt Place Farm is today divided up between neighbouring farms.